1 gallon milk (whole is the best!)
1/2 C powdered milk (Optional-acts as a thickening agent)
1 cup plain yogurt
1. Heat to 180 degrees on stove (use a candy thermometer), stirring regularly so it doesn't scorch and hold for several minutes at this temp.
2. Cool in sink w/ ice water to 130 degrees.
3. Add ...1 cup plain yogurt w/ live cultures (for your next batch save a cup of your own! It can be used 4 times before you need to buy fresh yogurt from the store again) and mix well using a whisk. **If you are only going to use this as vanilla yogurt, feel free to add the vanilla and some sweetener to the whole batch now**
4. Pour into quart jars or whatever containers you have.
5. Fill two gallon milk jugs with HOT water and put in a cooler. This makes your incubator.
6. Place your containers in with the hot water jugs and lay at towel over them. Close cooler and incubate for 6 hours (or longer for more tart yogurt).
7. When ready to serve, add sugar, vanilla and fresh /frozen fruit. I added maple syrup and that was awesome! It keeps for a long time in the fridge. It takes about 20-30 minutes total to get it all ready and in the cooler.
We make smoothies with this almost everyday.
Quick and Easy recipes
1/2 orange or grape juice (V8 splash mixes are awesome with this, too)
some crushed ice
Blend well and enjoy!