Thursday, January 19, 2012

DISHWASHER DETERGENT and JET-DRY alternative

So using the Borax that you've purchased to make your own laundry soap, now you can make your own Dishwasher soap!  This one from http://www.diynatural.com/simple-effective-jabs-homemade-dishwasher-detergent-rinse-agent/ works okay, but I think I have discovered a more simple recipe that works even better!!

DISHWASHER DETERGENT
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup Washing soda or Baking soda
  • Citric Acid, kept separate (locally can be purchased at Maple City Market, E&S)
Use 1 Heaping TBLS of the borax mix and 1 TSP of the Citric Acid...try what works best for your dishwasher and adjust as needed.

JET DRY ALTERNATIVE

Just add WHITE VINEGAR in your Jet Dry dispenser and you are good to go!!  No more harmful chemicals in your dishwasher!

8 comments:

  1. I'm using the Borax/baking soda/lemonade packet recipe! I LOVE IT! My dishwasher was leaving residue on my dishes almost every load. My first 2 loads have come out clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad!! i haven't made that one yet, but i'm trying to finish the bottle i have first, then i'll make it. i can't believe how much money i save!!!

      Delete
  2. I didn't have good luck with a homemade recipe, even with vinegar in the rinse aid compartment. It left a film that will NOT come off my glasses - I tried soaking them in straight vinegar for two days...nothing. BUT, I didn't know about adding Epsom salt and I did not use the lemonade, so I'm trying it again. :o) We do have very hard water, but use a good water softener system.
    I used to make small amounts of dish detergent and store them in an old coffee creamer container. Then I could shake it up well and it had a sealed spout opening that was easy to pour and then seal shut.
    Isn't it great that there are so many simple recipes that actually work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. marianne, have you had any luck adding the salt and lemonade??

      Delete
  3. I have used this recipe with awesome sucess. I added a little mesh bag of rice and it did not clump. But I did not like the look of the bag in the container. So I took about 2 tbs. of rice and blended it into flour. I added this to the mixture. Can't wait to see if this works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now keep my citric acid in a separate jar to avoid clumping altogether! One TBLS of the borax/soda mix and One TSP of the citric acid! Works great:)

      Delete
  4. For those with cloudiness left behind. You only need 1 tbs.. Do not fill your compartment. Also if you have hard water that could be the problem. I always had etched glass with commercial products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, did adding the rice flour work?

    ReplyDelete